Monday, August 10, 2009

Notes on the Hall of Fame Game


OK, post #1 on this new blog. You can check out the earlier stuff on Art:21 here.

A few observations on last night's Hall of Fame Game, from the Titans perspective.


  • Thank God for Kerry Collins. That little bootleg to Nate Washington in the First Quarter proved that things are looking up for what was a sometimes underwhelming passing game. We all know Kerry's got an arm with some power, but I can't remember when I last saw him roll out that swiftly and direct a play on the run like that.

  • The right side of the O-line needs to block a little better. Chris Johnson hit the back end of the line more than he should have. This line is too good to not open up holes. Johnson's later carries again show that he's best when he can bounce it outside and turn on the jets, but he needs to get a hole now and again. Smashmouth doesn't work if the RB gets his mouth smashed. I'm glad Johnson got to get it up to 3rd or 4th gear later on, but I'm still waiting for overdrive.

  • Speaking of...LenDale looks like he's in for another productive year. The new svelte LenDale had me worried that he wouldn't be as effective in goal line situations. I like being wrong about these things.

  • Can someone give Vince Young a break? Now, I'm as ready as the next guy to cut bait when the situation demands it, but I just don't know yet. Granted, I'm not in that locker room, but Vince did ok last night. His interception was unfortunate. It looked to me like he thought left when the play went right, which is the kind of mental error that can't be tolerated, especially since he's prone to making them under pressure, late in the game. That was a nice TD pass, though he needs to send Paul Williams a card. I think it was Collinsworth who made a nice point about Vince getting mixed signals. Apparently, some people are telling Vince to check his first option, then run while others are telling him to go through the progression. Can we bump running to the third or fourth priority? These WRs and TEs are good and numerous enough to get the job done. Vince, I want you to be a Hall of Famer, but you got to use your eyes and head before your feet. You've got a good team, so this isn't all on you.

  • Hey Patrick Ramsey, welcome to the team. Glad to have you.

  • Alge Crumpler needs to go on with his bad self and all that pass catching. Get that big body up in the air and pull more down.

  • Somebody give Trapasso a hug for me. People never believe me when I tell them that kickers are my favorite players, but I might have to add punters to that as well. And I loves me a trick play.

  • Hey, TO. Nice catches, man. Good to see you on the field this year. People, say it with me...don't hate, congratulate.

OK, I'm out. Please keep reading. I want to get famous on this.


Rich Eisen, get in touch. I want to come work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment