Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year



















You know what I don't understand? Really, properly don't understand? What the hell is going on with these Christmas decorations being out already. I was talking to my students about this earlier. It was a minor diversion from a lecture filled with amazing paintings. Anyway, I was telling my students that I couldn't wait to get pissed off about Christmas. One of them actually asked if I was going to ruin Christmas for them, "too." Which made me think that I must have ruined something else for them at some point. Since I don't know what I ruined, I'm not going to feel bad about it yet. Anyway, the getting pissed off about Christmas thing is funny, because someone who I know reads this was joking with me about the next episode would come out when I got mad about something. I don't really think I'm that much of a hater. I just believe in righteous anger. And sometimes things get me righteously angry.

Like these damn Christmas ornaments. Don't get it twisted, I love Christmas. After my birthday, it's my favorite holiday. I was hollering at my students today about how I do not understand how the hell Christmas ornaments are already out. I could probably go to a dozen or more places within 10 minutes of my house and get kitted out for Jesusmas like it was happening tomorrow. I just don't understand why I need that now. I mean, damn, we're hardly two weeks out of Halloween, and I know you've all been out there celebrating that. Every year, everyone's celebrating Halloween. And then there's Thanksgiving, which still hasn't happened yet. If I was Thanksgiving, I'd be mad for real. Fo' real.

If I was Thanksgiving and you were Christmas, let's just say it wouldn't be me getting carved up with a side of smashed tuber.

What the hell is so wrong with this stupid country that we need to get our Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving?

Why can we not appreciate each holiday?

Why do we need to be worried about the next one before we even get to this one?

I don't understand. It's making me really angry.

1 comment:

  1. The reason for the lack of season it that "they" can't sell you anything around Thanksgiving other than some dried corn that looks like your aged relative's teeth and a shrink-wrapped water-injected turkey. Thanksgiving is about real values, like giving thanks, and sharing food, and spending time with people who will let you crash on the rug by the fire after you have stuffed yourself with too many different kinds of mash. That's why when you head into CVS to stock up on shampoo two weeks before Thanksgiving you find yourself reaching for that candy-cane snuggie. On the plus side, that orange, purple and black Halloween swag is looking mighty tempting at 70% off. Why not cheer yourself up by indulging in some candy-corn after October 31st (it's like wearing white after Labor Day only funner!) Fo' real, bro, I'm with you on this one. Now let's start those stomach expanding exercises and get with the Thanks!

    ReplyDelete