Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gorky at the PMA: A Question?

















Full disclosure: I know the Curator of this show.


Not only is Gorky an exceptional painter, who has all kinds of massively confounding combinations of ideas and manners (Cezanne, landscape, Cubism, Surrealism, and all sorts of other things which are constantly in resynthesis), but the paintings are super mega fun to look at. Even the late ones, which really give me the creeps. It's a great show. And another one of these shows that the PMA has been doing that really really make you see things differently.

But here's my question.

How do I square this guy with Yves Tanguy? Is there a link, or am I just seeing things?



















1 comment:

  1. Catalog for aforementioned exhibition now available in the MCA library.....

    ReplyDelete